Upgrade here to get full access.
What are Campaigns?
The Campaigns feature allows you to send emails to multiple recipients (up to 1000 per email) and individually track which recipients open that email.
Sending campaigns from Gmail helps you get better open and reply rates, as well as personalize your follow-ups.
How to use the Campaign feature
- Start composing a new message in Gmail then click on the Campaign option.
- Add all of the contacts to whom you wish to send your message to the 'Recipients' field of the composer.
- Send your email as usual!
- A pop-up will appear showing how many people the campaign will be sent to. You'll also be given the option to:
- Select which email alerts you'd like to receive for the campaign (first open alerts, reminders, monitor reply alerts etc.). Email alerts will be disabled by default.
- Select the desktop notifications you'd like to receive for the campaign (opens, clicks, PDF views). Desktop notifications will be disabled by default.
- Have only one sent message appear in your Sent folder in Gmail. If this option is selected a megaphone icon will appear next to the message in your sent folder. Any replies to your campaign email will create a new email thread in order to keep the conversation going between you and that particular recipient.
You can also choose to schedule campaigns to send at a later date or time. After scheduling a campaign, you'll be able to see it listed in the Mailtrack Scheduled folder in Gmail. You'll also have the option to cancel the scheduled send. If you decide to cancel the scheduled send, the campaign mail will be moved to the Drafts folder.
How does email tracking work in a Campaign?
Whenever you send a campaign, a tracked copy of your email will be sent to each individual recipient.
If you selected the option to show only one message in the Sent folder then only one copy of the campaign message will appear in your Sent mail folder.
Otherwise, there'll be a copy of the message for each campaign recipient.
When a recipient opens their tracked copy, clicks on a link, views a PDF etc. you'll receive notifications based on the configuration you selected before sending the campaign.
What do recipients see?
Recipients will not be able to see the details of other recipients included in your campaign. In the email they receive, they will only see the contact details of the sender as well as their own contact details in the ‘To’ field.
Campaign send limits and restrictions
Please bear in mind that you're sending emails from your personal email account and not a dedicated email marketing tool. If you go over Gmail's send limits or Gmail decides that you're sending spam you could end up having your email account restricted or even blocked completely.
To avoid problems, we recommend following the usual email best practices.
If you send unsolicited emails to dozens of people at a time using Campaigns it is likely that quite a few of those people will mark your emails as spam, and that Google will take anti-spam measures against your account.
Campaigns is a personal emailing tool and isn't a substitute for dedicated email marketing tools that can send email marketing campaigns to 1000's of people.